Wednesday, February 18, 2004

I still have not figured out what a 'shill' is. After three months back in Canada Irish-speak eludes me. Back to the good 'ol Islander talk, which is completely indecipherable according to my Haligonian sister. I'd have to agree though, Island speak is the equivalent of someone mumbling and muttering at high speed, with the occassional injection of a pitch change that generally infers a question is being asked My advice: just roll with the punches 'yep, yep, sure-seems-dat way-dese days, dere eh? well, gotta-go-pick-up-The Wife dere now, yep, yep. Boys-sure-do-look-like-we'll-be-getting-dat-weder-dere.Big-storm-hedin-dis-way.'

I was born into a family of non-Islanders, so am lacking the signature accent that sets us apart from 'dee oders' (it also helps that I grew up between S'side & Ch'town). On the other hand..I've been told on more than one occassion that I have a sing-song way of talking/a lilt to my voice and that I speak a wee bit fast. As a result, I've discovered that the only people who never have any trouble understanding what I am saying are Newfies.

Speaking slower and in a monotone voice - just two of my ambitious goals for the 2004 calendar year

No comments: