Tuesday, July 20, 2004

 
Today one of the women at work told me I would make someone a good wife someday.  I have oft been told this, although notably never by a young, single man. In any case, comment usually follows me serving up some sort of home-cooked meal or baked goodies, Today was no exception, as I doled out chocolate chip cookies to workmates (Sidenote: baking was purely of a professional nature…trying to create products to sell during Festival….Keri, Jen & workmates are more-than-willing taste testers).   And how do I react to ‘good wife’ comment? Well ..normally I am flattered….followed by indignant.  Flattered that someone/anyone would suggest possibility of me being good at such a role, indignant that they base suggestion on my abilities to cook/bake (another sidenote..abilities are quite limited over here in Europe and have actually had a few disasters..particularly while in Dublin) . Am quite sure that there are other things I am better at/possess, which would be more important in long-term relationship. For instance..ambition/ability to think, but no one said I’d be a good wife when I completed my Honours degree… 
 
Anywho..why do I bring this whole ‘wife’ comment up now? Because, as of late..in addition to being flattered and indignant, I am also a wee bit freaked out. Freaked out because my mind starts whirring and I start wondering whether comments are indicative of fact that I am at age where marriage is expected thing to do. Well, in any case am quite certain recent events close to home are partly to blame for my paranoia. Rest assured to all..am not considering marriage in near future. I have enough trouble committing to 6-month lease J
 
Oh..but speaking of my Honours paper…have been told by School of Business that they want to do something with it..something other than shredding! I believe there was mention of reworking it (i.e. shortening it and making it way better) and then publishing it! Woohooo..I am excited..is good to be reminded that while my days are now spent doing simple data entry I really am capable of independent thought and challenging tasks.
 
And speaking of six month lease, which will end in mid-January..have decided that I will be booking my ticket home for Christmas soon and it will be  a return ticket. I suppose it’s a teensy bit scary..like Jen says..everything is peachy keen now, but who knows if it will be the same come January or February???  But I guess I see it like this: who’s to say it would be any better back home in January or February? And what does PEI have to offer a wanderlust gal w/university degree? Not a whole lot at the moment, other than familiarity, so I’d just have to pack up my bags and move somewhere else in Canada anyway. Right so..in song lyric conclusion  ‘I’ll be Home for Christmas’  and ‘Whatever Will Be Will Be’.
 
I am back to better eating and more exercise..following on gluttoness weekend of BBQ indulgence and all-you-can eat buffet, I concluded that I was asking for it..weight gain that is. The fact that my pants/trousers are beginning to fit again (after basically hanging off me for past three months) was final straw. Unfortunately, temptations at work are a many..team of 15 females means cakes, cookies, candy, etc. are available every hour of every working day. Sigh. I have not given in to Temptation…yet.
 
Oh..right I almost forgot…So it seems that some people don’t’ realise they can comment on my blog entries (or are simply feigning lack of knowledge to avoid my scathingness  ) Well, if it is the former, then let me instruct ye. See,. At the bottom of each and every post I make there is the word Comment..it is in Orange text and at the bottom right hand corner of the post box. You just have to click on the word, then choose to ‘Post Comment’. Post anonymously as the password and all that is just for people who have blogs already. If you want me to know who posted the comment, just sign off with your name.  There..so now you have no reason not to comment…Andrew :)  and Father :) If you need more instruction than that, well sorry but no can do as am a wee bit too far away!

 This weekend, Keri, Jen & I are thinking about taking a road trip.yes.,.that’s right..I said a road trip….not a bus trip, not a plane trip, not a train trip..an automobile trip. Thanks to this Shanadian having paid the $15 CAD for her International Driver’s Permit back in May.  Apparently the fact that I can legally drive the two-lane highways and backroads of PEI is enough to warrant me permission to drive in the UK..on the other side of the road. Well, at least I can already drive a standard..suppose that’s more than a lot of  North Americans who come over here rent-a-car!! I am grateful that Keri & Jen have expressed their trust in my driving abilities verbally..although real test will come when they must actually get in the vehicle that I am at the wheel of

3 comments:

Jen said...

If anyone should be worried it should be my bro. Think of it - since we arrived your sibling has gotten engaged and Keri's sibling has gotten engaged. There is now a trend for Jeff to follow...

Anonymous said...

OH DEAR..WELL GUESS THE CAT'S OUT OF THE BAG NOW. UP TO THIS POINT HAD AVOIDED ANNOUNCING SISTER'S NEWS..ONLY MADE SUBTLE REFERENCES TOO IT..WELL..THERE YA GO :)

Anonymous said...

Subtlty does not suit you! I'll let the cat out of the bag instead of suffocating the poor thing. I'm freaking getting married! Still a little shell shocked 'cause marriage was never a goal for me. But there ya go! As dear sister put; leave it to me to do something so traditional in such an unconventional way. As in no one really knows my fiance, we skipped dating completely, we threw caution to the wind to actually follow our hearts(which in todays world is not so common) and I don't believe anyone thought I'd ever get married! -Sahra p.s. quite sure I'm not considered "Good Wife" material;)