Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Gastronomical Overload in Toronto

Is it possible to gain 5 pounds in 5 days? I hope not, but my belly tells me I may very well have accomplished this feat. I look forward to many, many hours at the UPEI gym starting tomorrow.

Thanksgiving 2007 was spent in Toronto with my friend, Andrew. I flew up to TO on Friday evening, after the most hectic week I've had in a VERY long time.

It all started well enough last Saturda with me gratefully accepting Mom & Jim's old computer, and a desk & chair from my newly acquired friend, Ryan. Then on Sunday I arrived home after an afternoon with my Dad, to discover a TV and stand sitting in the livingroom - on loan from the fabulous Patersons. So yeah, I was all hooked up by Sunday night, with my new desktop and 60 channels of TV to flick through. Woohoo!

Monday started out innocently enough, with work somewhat busy, but not overwhelming. Then, somewhere between Monday and Wednesday things started to get a little crazy. To make a long story short, I had to enrol in a UPEI course....which meant I had a month's worth of work to catch up on and no text. This was Thursday's fun little adventure. I'm also in the midst of applying for a couple of scholarship and had to pack and do other things like eat, work out and work. Anyways, in a nutshell - it was a crazy week and I was looking forward to a relaxing long weekend in Toronto.

So...Toronto's been enjoyable, although I do have to admit that I still prefer medium-sized cities, small towns and the countryside to BIG cities. Anyways, Andrew happens to like cooking and baking as much as I do, so we spent a good portion of the weekend in his lavish, massive kitchen cooking up pot roast, a turkey dinner, portobello mushroom stacks, cookies and other things that I can't even remember, but which I know were both sinful and satisfying to the palate.

Did I mention that on Monday, the temperature was a sweltering 36 degree in Toronto?? If that's not global warming, I don't know what is. We ended up at a pumpkin patch farm, where we picked everything except pumpkins - they even had raspberries & strawberries.......in freaking OCTOBER! Cooking a turkey dinner in the heat was super fun.

Today we rented a car and headed down to the Niagara region for some wine sampling and sightseeing . I had fun at the wineries, although I wish Andrew hadn't had to be the DD, as it's never as much fun to drink alone. We stopped in Niagara Falls and I couldn't get over how ridiculously tacky it was - seriously, get me on that city planning board, I want to make some changes! Went to the Hershey store -had high expectations, but was completely underwhelmed by the store - namely because of the super high prices. I did, however, love Niagara-on-the-Lake, a much classier, very quaint town. Reminded me a lot of a town in Michigan...right down to the plethora of fudge/chocolate shops.

Yes, yes, I did eat chocolate and candy this weekend -waaaaay too much of it. Andrew doesn't believe that I resist such foods at home, he's convinced I'm addicted to candy. I've given up trying to convince him otherwise - every time he sees me, I am celebrating a special occassion (eg. birthday Nibs!) or on vacation.... And it's not entirely me fault - I mean, he was the one who mentioned the Annual Candyland event at the Runway 224 bar on Saturday night. I was pumped, because the ads said the whole bar would be covered in candy & chocolate. When we arrived to discover four tiny piles of candy at each of the four corners of the rectangular bar, I have to admit I was truly disappointed. Luckily, we hadn't paid the $15 cover charge, or my disappointment 'may' have turned into a stronger feeling. As it was, we simply left early and found ourselves in the midst of an extremely heavy downpour. Good grief, weather in Toronto is crazy.

I am tired and have to fly tomorrow. I also have work to do. Boo. Good night.

No comments: