Sunday, January 19, 2014

It Goes On

My father gave me a calendar for Christmas, with inspirational quotes for each month.  The first one reads as follows:

'In three words I can sum up everything I know about life: it goes on.'

There are many ways to interpret this message.  In the context of my own life right now, these words are a gentle reminder that the current circumstances of my life are merely that: current. Life will go on, the circumstances will change and what seems all-consuming and challenging right now will be but a faded memory.

It's also a beautiful way to be reminded that every day and every moment is an opportunity to embrace the present moment and let go of the past.

In case it's not evident, the past week has been a rough one for me for various reasons I care not to divulge. I realize we all have our rough days or weeks and I'm totally OK with that. Usually I can just let myself drift through it until my 'groove' reappears.  This week, however, was a little different. Rather than just being 'off', I felt like I was tumbling.  It was not a good feeling. Every night I would go to bed, hoping for a good night's rest and to awaken with gratitude for life, and every night I would toss and turn and wake up feeling more anxious and unenthusiastic than the day before.  I'm not sure it helped that I'd decided to start a sugar detox on Monday (still going strong on that front!).

This week was also different because I had an interview for a job.  To put this into context, the last 'official-like' interview I had for a job was approximately 3.5 years ago when I interviewed for the Tourism Research Centre.  This time the interview was for an Events Coordinator position with the PEI Farm Centre Association. Unfortunately, due to my physical exhaustion, lack of enthusiasm, and mental fogginess, I did not interview well at all. I'm not normally great at interviews anyways, but I can usually express a decent degree of enthusiasm and provide some coherent thoughts. Alas,  this was not the case in this instance.  Sometimes having an off day or an off week has a much bigger impact on one's life than at other times.

Life goes on.

Yesterday was the first day I woke up feeling closer to normal. That was nice.  I'm still suffering from restless sleeps and suspect that until I get back into a decent sleep pattern, I'll continue to feel a little off my game.  The plan for this coming week, therefore, is to give myself lots of 'down time' in the evenings and go to bed early.

I've also found that the company of good friends is a great pick-me-up. It's hard to feel blue when you are surrounded by amazing people. So, more friend dates is another plan to get my game back. Any other 'game-reviving' tips are welcome.

For now, I'm going to try to take it easy and be kind to myself.

Life is going on.



No comments: